無料TOEIC レッスン Lesson 6 : Cherry Blossoms Quintessentially Japanese
Lesson 6: Cherry Blossoms Quintessentially Japanese/ VIDEO Script
Al, it’s almost that time of the year again. We have to start planning our new chapter of that age old ritual. You know, plan for weeks, and over in the blink of an eye.
You mean Hanami? It’s the transitory nature of the cherry blossom that makes it so quintessentially Japanese, like sushi and Samurai. I hope they manage to get the timing right this year so our picnic will have just the right quantity of blossoms.
You can’t blame the Japanese Meteorological Agency (JMA), can you? They think it’s global warming that’s bringing the blossoms out earlier each year. The whole Sakura phenomenon may be under threat. Maybe we need a new kind of cherry tree.
Funny you should say that. Some scientists have produced a new type of cherry tree by bombarding an existing type of tree with radiation to produce a mutant variety that blooms for longer, grows under a wider range of temperatures and has more abundant and longer lasting flowers. What do you think of that?
Sounds like they should call it the “Godzilla Sakura”. But what’s that you were saying about the Japanese loving the blossoms for their being so transitory?
Yeah! The Japanese seem to love the things that don’t last. Cherry Blossoms, Sushi and Samurai. Blossoms soon fall to the ground, Sushi goes bad and Samurai are soon cut down in battle. But the new Cherry tree might make it possible to enjoy the blossoms longer and that can’t be a bad thing.
- What subject does John bring up?
- He brings up the age old ritual of Christmas.
- He brings up his problem of blinking eyes.
- He brings up instant noodles.
- He brings up the ritual of HANAMI in Japan.
- What does Al mention about Cherry blossoms that makes them so quintessentially Japanese?
- That they are often used in Sushi.
- That Samurai often fought duels during the the Cherry blossom season.
- That they have a transitory nature.
- That the quantity of blossoms will decide the date of the picnic.
- What did John mention might be under threat?
- He mentioned that the Japanese Meteorological Agency might be under threat.
- He mentioned that the whole Sakura phenomenon might be under threat.
- He mentioned that global warming might be under threat.
- He mentioned that a new kind of cherry tree might be under threat.
- What did Al say about the new cherry tree developed by scientists?
- He said it might go bad like sushi.
- He said it might be cut down like a samurai.
- He said it might be possible to enjoy the cherry blossoms for a longer time.
- He said that Godzilla would like the new tree for sure.