無料TOEICレッスン Lesson16 : Twilight Saga(Vampire Romance Series)
無料TOEIC レッスン Lesson 16 : Twilight Saga (Vampire Romance Series)
Lesson 16: Twilight Saga(Vampire Romance Series) / VIDEO Script
John, do you know anything about the Twilight Series of novels or their author Stephenie Meyer?
Yes, it’s a very popular vampire romance series of 4 books about a young girl named Bella Swan and some young vampires she meets when she moves to Forks, Washington to live with her father. Stephanie Meyer books sold 29 million copies in 2008 and 26.5 million in 2009. Sales of that level are quite phenomenal and some sort of record.
So what about Stephenie Meyer? Where did she come from and how much experience did she have before writing this hit series of books?
Well, according to Wikipedia, she had never written even a short story before she wrote “Twilight” and the only professional experience she had was working as a receptionist for a property company. She wrote the first of four novels, “Twilight” in only 3 months.
So give me a summary of the story for Twilight?
A teenage girl, Bella Swan, moves from Phoenix, Arizona to live with her father in Forks, Washington to allow her mother to travel with her new husband, a minor league baseball player. After moving to Forks, Bella finds herself involuntarily drawn to a mysterious, handsome boy, Edward Cullen.
So what? What’s so special about this Edward Cullen character?
According to the story he’s a member of a vampire family who drinks animal blood rather than human blood. In Twilight Edward and Bella fall in love, but James, a sadistic vampire from another vampire coven, is drawn to hunt down Bella. Edward and the other Cullens defend Bella. She escapes to Phoenix, Arizona, where she is tricked into confronting James, who tries to kill her. She is seriously wounded, but Edward rescues her and they return to Forks, having killed James.
So that is all that happens in 498 pages?
Well yes, but I guess there are a lot of things which happen in between to hold readers’ attention. But Stephenie Meyer, a virtually unknown author, who said the idea for “Twilight” came to her in a dream, managed to churn out this and 3 other novels in the series and they have sold over 50 million copies worldwide in the past two years and two have even been made into movies with a third one coming out in June 2010. Quite remarkable!
You are right about that. Maybe we should study up on writing vampire romance novels. It seems quite profitable.
- What does Al ask John about first?
- About a book called New Moon by Stephenie Meyer.
- If he knows anything about Stephenie Meyer or the Twilight series.
- If he likes vampire romance novels.
- If Stephenie Meyer is the author of “Twilight”.
- What did John say about the number of books sold in the past two years?
- He said that the number was not clear.
- He said that Stephenie Meyer only published the book to give to her friends.
- He said that her books had sold 29 million and 26.5 million, respectively, in 2008 and 2009.
- He said that the story she told was quite phenomenal.
- What did Al ask John concerning Stephenie Meyer?
- He asked about her past writing experience and where she had come from..
- He asked if she had come from Canada and had sold about 26,500 books in 2008 and 2009.
- He asked where Stephenie Meyer had written the book “Twilight”.
- He asked if the idea for the first book had come to Stephenie Meyer during a dream.
- According to John, where did the sadistic vampire, James follow Bella and Edward to try to kill Bella?
- John said that Edward followed James and Bella to Arizona.
- He said that Edward and Bella escaped to Arizona and were followed by James.
- John said that James lured Edward out in Arizona and he and Bella tried to kill him.
- He said that Bella and Edward escaped to Forks, Washington and were followed by James.
Sample Passage from Chapter 13:
And then his cold marble lips pressed against mine.
What neither of us was prepared for was my response.
Blood boiled under my skin. Burned in my lips. My breath came in a wild gasp. My fingers knotted in his hair, clutching him to me. My lips parted as I breathed in his heady scent.
Immediately I felt him turn to unresponsive stone beneath my lips. His hands gently, but with irresistible force pushed my face back. I opened my eyes and watched his guarded expression.